RETURN TO GENERAL INFORMATION
If you own a 1970 Buick GSX and want production information the GSX registry may be able to help you. With the help of a good friend, more production information has recently come to light. For further information please e-mail the registry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1970 Buick GSX Information
1. The 1970 Buick GSX had the same power plant as a 1970 GS.
2. The 1970 Buick GSX did not have a separate VIN identification.
3. The 1970 Buick GSX had a special graphics package with hood stripes and side panel stripes.
4. The 1970 Buick GSX had a front spoiler, rear spoiler and hood tach unique to the GSX.
5. The 1970 Buick GSX had a baffle as part of the rear spoiler system.
6. The 1970 Buick GSX had holes drilled into the front framework for the front spoiler.
7. The 1970 Buick GSX had sport mirrors.
8. The 1970 Buick GSX had special emblems on the grill and dash pad.
9. The 1970 Buick GSX had black interior only trim code 188.
10. The 1970 Buick GSX came in only two colors Saturn Yellow and Apollo White.
11. The 1970 Buick GSX came with a special padded steering wheel.
12. The 1970 Buick GSX came with a special trunk tension bar to support the spoiler.
13. The 1970 Buick GSX was a mid year car produced between the months of February and May. The three digit number on the CAL tag below the TR and PNT is the month and week the body was made by fisher. (EX 04D would be fourth month fourth week). Most cars were produced at Buick within a two to three week window after the body was created.
14. There were only 678 1970 Buick GSX produced.
15. Of the 678 cars, 187 were white and 491 were yellow.
16. Of the 678 cars, 199 had standard transmissions; 479 had automatic transmissions.
17. Of the 678 cars, 278 had standard 455 C.I. engines; 400 had Stage1 engines.
18. From the information gathered through the GSX registry VIN numbers range from approx. 446370H120000 to 446370H335000. Some of the VIN numbers are within 30 of each other but most of them are stand alone numbers.
19. From the information gathered through the GSX registry the cowl tag numbers range from approx. ST 70 44637FL1 175000 BDY to ST 70 44637FL1 285000 BDY. Some of these numbers are consecutive and seem to be in groups of 20 to 40 but with the few cars that are in the registry it is very difficult to get exact.
Items to look for to help determine if it is a real 1970 GSX or not.
1. Paperwork is always the first option. Ask the owner for
original bill of sale, Protect-o-plate, body production sheet (usually
found on the gas tank), Broadcast sheet (usually found in the drivers side
pillar tucked up under the dash pad), or any other identifying paperwork.
2. The stripes down the side of the car had a small miss match directly above the rear wheel well.
3. The stripes toe in at the front edge of the hood.
4. There is one weep hole in the rear spoiler.
5. There are holes cut into the trunk lid to place the bolts for the rear spoiler.
6. There are holes drilled in the front part of the frame to mount the front spoiler.
7. There is and X stamped into the support plate of the Sports mirrors.
8. The body plate on the Cowl should have exterior paint as either Q-Q for Saturn Yellow or 10-10 for Apollo White. The Saturn Yellow color is unique to this car the Apollo White is not.
9. There should be a 3 inch hole for the hood tach or have a hood tach.
10. The dash pad emblem says GSX.
12. There is a quarter panel decal on each side of the car.
13. The trunk tension bar was slightly bigger then the standard car (needs to be checked with a micrometer).
14. The steering wheel is padded.
1971 and 1972 Buick GSX Information.
There is very little known about the 1971 and 1972 Buick GSX's due to the limited production of this car and fact that in 1971 and 1972 the GSX package was an option that could be purchased on the car for the entire year. The option could also come on any GS from 350 CI to the Stage1 and vary in color and trim options. It is very difficult to identify these cars without paperwork.
1. There were 124 1971 Buick GSX's built.
2. There were 44 1972 Buick GSX's built.
3. The VIN number is the same as a GS of the same year.
Return to the top of the page.